What was I thinking?

Monday, August 14, 2006

Doing Business As...

Yep, we did it. We filed our D.B.A. on Friday and are awaiting our authorization to collect sales tax, as well as our OBPRA kit. Our D.B.A. name is GoldMar Enterprises. We have our own domain name, although our website is under construction and probably won't be open for business until we get that damned sales tax thing put to bed (they're saying 20 business days -- or 4 weeks). We've got another task to accomplish, and that's getting software to integrate with the website so that we can accept credit cards both online and in person. We have to get a permit from the town to run the office out of our home, and that has to go before the zoning board in October for approval. In the meantime, we have to have a sign in our front yeard notifying our neighbors about the zoning board meeting so they can add their input, if they have any.

It's been a couple of weeks since I last updated this blog -- actually, I'm quite surprised at that. But then again, I'm not.

We put in the new floor at the house last weekend, finally. It took us two full days, with Lisa doing all the cutting and Mary and I laying the laminate and tapping it into place. I took a full swing with the hammer and smashed the cajunga out of my left index finger. It's completely black under the nail now...I suspect I'll lose the nail. They should name a dance after that because I swear my feet were not flat on the floor for more than 10 minutes, as I was dancing and hopping around.

We're slowly getting things put back together, but still have a lot of stuff packed away because we still have to do some of the trim work and all the moldings have to be replaced. My computer was packed away for almost a week.

At the same time, I had my office completely packed up because they were rennovating the office. They removed the furniture, removed the old carpet, removed the asbestos tile from underneath, painted, put new tile in, and replaced the furniture. Today I begin the task of unpacking THAT mess, too. I'm sick of having to squeeze past things at work and at home!

I spent a couple of hours in the social security office Tuesday morning to learn that the reason my father's social security check hadn't been deposited is because he's not eligible for it while he's incarcerated. He's being publicly supported, so it makes sense to me. However, I'm sure it was a blow to him when he got my letter telling him that.

His half-brother has been reported missing, and has been missing for two weeks now. Everyone pretty much believes that they'll find him dead somewhere, most likely in the woods behind his house, and with a collection of booze bottles scattered around his body.

My father was transferred from the maximum security reception station in Elmira to a medium security facility at Groveland on Friday. Saturday night I got a phone call from the prison telling me that my father had been sent to the hospital (a civilian hospital) and was in I.C.U., but not because he needed intensive care. Apparently it's the only place they can "lock down" the inmates when they go to the hospital. However, I can't get any information about my father's condition or what's wrong with him. I drove to the hospital yesterday, but they wouldn't let me see him as it wasn't "visiting day" at the prison. And, of course, they were very tight-lipped about him.

Now, I understand why HIPAA is a good thing, but it does go too far sometimes, I think. I'm extremely concerned that he's given up now and that he won't play an active role in his own health care. He was extremely depressed to start with, and now with his brother missing and the thought that he doesn't have a cent to his name, nor will he anytime soon, he's lost hope. Given his medical condition, I was told that he probably won't be "allowed" to work to even earn that pittance of fifteen cents an hour.

To make matters worse, when I called the prison to find out about how I can see my father while he's in the hospital, at first they said my father wasn't a "guest" there, then I was told that nobody really knew what the rules were regarding visitation at the hospital...

Ay yi yi!

And I thought things would be calmer once he went to prison!

Silly me.......


  • At 8/15/2006 9:39 AM, Blogger patti_cake said…

    Well I dont' know any of the background story but i'm sorry you Dad is going through tough times and sorry about his brother missing.
    Yay for getting your business off the ground! That's so exciting!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home