What was I thinking?


Monday, September 19, 2005

NFL, week two

Last night's game between the Chiefs and the Raiders was pretty exciting. Of course, Lisa being a Raiders fan, it's hard for me to hate them as much as I used to, but a little good natured AFC West competition never hurt any household...did it? It looks like Randy Moss actually wants to play football and play well -- perhaps his time in Minnesota had just ended and it was time for him to move on. But, the season's still young, so the jury's still out.

The Vikings seem to be impotent without Moss -- and that's just too bad. I had hoped that they'd do well without him, so as not to feed the arrogant jerk's ego. Lackluster offense, almost nonexistent defense. What the hell happened to them?

Speaking of what the hell happened to them, what the hell happened to the Patriots, Packers and Ravens? Green Bay losing to Cleveland? That's like losing to Jerry's Kids. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Walker is out for the season and he's Favre's favorite target, but aren't there other players on that team? Just like the loss of Moss affected the Vikings dramatically, it looks like the loss of Walker has affected the Packers dramatically. And, frankly, if your entire season rests on the loss of only one player, then you don't have a team that works well together. The bright spot in that game was Favre reaching the 50,000 passing yard mark -- a feat accomplished only by two other quarterbacks; Dan Marino and John Elway. It looks like Favre could pass Elway, but he'll never catch Marino. The Patriots lost a hard-fought battle in Carolina and, like the Raiders, were just about the only other losing team that was actually in the game.

Well, San Diego was actually in the game against Denver, and it was a close game, but it was a boring game, too. Neither team did much of anything and showed lackluster and lethargic efforts on both sides of the ball. Like Brian Griese, Jake Plummer also cannot fill the very large shoes left by John Elway -- not sure anyone can, really. Life in Denver after Elway would never be the same, we all knew that...

Had four televisions set up yesterday to watch the games (hehehe). Lisa says I'm sick, I say I'm getting the best value for our money with the NFL Sunday ticket. What's the point in having it if you're not actually going to watch a lot of games? :-)

Saturday night's movie, Bound, was a hit. Betty and Paula rushed off just after it ended. Guess it was HOT enough for them, too! LOL!

Saturday Mary (our neighbor) and I took a bunch of clothes and stuff we'd gotten together for the hurrican victims down to the mall in the southwestern part of the city. The deal was that there would be 12 transit system buses going down, loaded with stuff. Two were for pets and the rest would contain whatever else for humans. The advertisements said clothes, underwear, bras, socks, etc. so we took that as an invitation to clean out stuff that's been sitting around for endless amounts of time. I had 8 pairs of size 12 jeans (that neither of us can wedge our fat asses into any more) that are in nearly new condition, along with a dozen or so size medium shirts, some still with price tags on them. We had a pretty good sized box full of really good clothes that we had once hoped we had a chance of getting back into but, given the circumstances, we knew we could part with them and if we ever get that small again, it'd be a treat to buy new clothes.

Mary had a ton of stuff. Toilet paper, dog toys, clothes, books, towels, new packages of undies and socks, she went all out. So, we loaded up my RAV4 and off we went. We got there and there were about 6 buses there -- and they were supposed to be leaving Sunday at midnight. We pulled up and, rather that pull stuff out right away, we decided it might be prudent to ask what the procedure was.

We were told that, unless the clothing was new, they wouldn't take it and that it could go in the back of the Salvation Army truck located nearby and that there was no guarantee that it would go to the hurricane victims and, if it did, it would be six months or more before it got there. What was the object of telling people they wanted clothes without saying they wouldn't go to the hurricane victims, I asked. Mary asked them how many new clothes they thought they were going to get. I asked if there was any guarantee that the clothing I'd donated wouldn't end up in the Salvation Army Thrift Store to be sold locally here, and they said that was probably where they'd end up. Mary and I looked at each other and said simultaneously "Let's get the hell out of here." I can't believe those people were actually surprised and upset that we left with our donations still in the back of my RAV4.

Today I'm going to go online and try to find churches down in New Orleans, and start calling them to see if they'll take a shipment of donations for hurricane victims. I'm betting we can get those clothes to the hurricane victims directly that way. People give because they want to help a specific cause but these beaurocratic organizations throw up roadblocks all over the place to keep you from helping, preventing you from wanting to help. I stopped giving to the Red Cross after 9/11 for this very reason. They'd collected more than $60 million in donations to help the victims of 9/11 but decided to put half of it away for a rainy day. That's not why people donated -- they wanted to HELP those people in New York.

Anyway, after we got back from our wasted trip, we changed into our grubby clothes and the three of us (Mary, Lisa and I) cleaned our garage so that we'll be able to park in it once winter sets in. Clearly it looked worse than it actually was because it took us only 3 hours to get it completely cleaned out, straightened up, and swept out. It looks great, but Lisa's workshop (off the back of the garage) still needs to get cleaned out. We bought a new shed a few weeks ago to put the riding mower and other gardening things in over the winter, and I'm thrilled at how much stress that took off the garage. It'll alleviate a lot of the accumulated "stuff" in Lisa's workshop, too. Next weekend we're going to clean Mary's garage. Hers looks bad, too, but in reviewing it yesterday we decided that, like ours, it probably looks worse than it actually is. Besides, we don't have to clear it out enough for two vehicles to park, as Mary lives alone.

I got started on making the rug to go with Michelle's afghan that I made. It really looks good, I'm very proud of it so far, and I'm really pleased with the yarn I'm using. It knits up fast, and is very easy to work with, even considering how bulky it is. I started it Saturday evening and by the time we went to bed last night, I had it 25% completed. At this rate, I should be done with it by next weekend. That will complete that whole project (other than sewing together the strips for the afghan) and I can focus on getting our blanket done before Christmas. I did some calculations and decided that, there's too much to do in order to get little Brandon's blanket done by Christmas, so that will be a birthday present for him (in February) so that takes a bit of stress off me in that I can focus completely on our blanket.

Yesterday marked 7 years since I quit smoking, something I'm very proud of. Now if I could only get Lisa to WANT to quit...

I've been hot flashing like crazy the past few days. I'm not sleeping well because I'm cold without the covers, and too hot with them on. I can't seem to find a happy medium. It's been two months now since I've had a visit from my little red-headed cousin and I've only had a total of four visits from her since January. Can't say I miss the little bitch, but damn, the effects of not having her around aren't all that pleasant, either! Lisa has been great throughout this whole thing. Last night, at one point, I was flashing so bad I felt like I was going to explode. She looked at me and said my face was beet red, so she went and got a cool washcloth and had me put it on the back of my neck. It helped tremendously. Don't know what I'd do without her. She's always there, loving me. Never in my whole life have I ever felt so secure in knowing that the person I love loves me back just as much -- I can actually feel the intensity of her love. I love her very much. I love my life with her very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home